August 08, 2005

Questions From SelfBuilders

I got a few emails from a couple of lads and ladies as regards what way I did or inteneded to setup different parts of the build.

I really should have this information up on the blogs but I sometimes forget to actually post up the questions I have to ask others myself!

So sin é!

1.The foundation , did you go with insulated slab or insulated over slab
Insulation is over the raft, will be put down when the final floor goes in expected to be min 50mm of kingspan.

2.I think you said you are putting down your UFH yourself, will this work ok with Climate control Heatpump which operates at 35 degrees c
Yes, I talked to Climate Control and to UnderfloorDirect and we have worked the pipes closer together so that the temp operates lower than "standard" UFH.

3.How are you heating up stairs , is it UFH or over sized rads
UFH - 50mm battens laid at 12 inches apart (might reconsider this), there is 25mm of insulation, the pipes laid on top of this, then screed in the hall and bathroom and ensuite, not screeding the rooms due to them be very warm and also this would turn the concrete into a slab and would leave heating and cooling responses very slow.

4.How much room have you left for the 500l thank and the heatpump in the utility room and is this going to be your hot press as well
2m footprint for the tank and geo, not going to be a hotpress but will be a possible storage area, will definately be closed in when all installed.

5.and finally the screed for the floor's , how are you putting this into each room . I'm thinking the UFH has not gone down yet ,so is it pumped in to each room or is it hard labor with a wheel barrow .
I will be doing the molly malone on this one!!

6.How are you regulating the temperature in each room
I have thermostats in the sitting room and bedrooms, the main living areas as far as I see it.

7.Trissa said...
Hi Aidan-
Great site. We're putting in radiant floor heating during our renovation- are you putting tubing in with concrete? Are you doing the entire system yourself? It would be great to see some pictures-


Trissa, thanks, we are putting the single under floor heating, we will be doing ourselves, I would say it will be at least 5-6 weeks before I start.


Sian, "what are soap,why do need to use then? how build getting on "

Sian, things are going well thanks, Soap , are soap bars, these I have used to attach the sole plate to using express nails so that the timber frame can be nailed down onto the sole plate.
Soap bars are like mini-blocks, where a 4" solid block is 9" wide and 4" deep, the soap bars can be got in 4" * 4" and 6" * 6"/.
Have a look at www.roadstone.ie for a product guid.


if there are any questions please post a comment or email me on aidangill@gmail.com and I will do my best to answer and post up the q/a here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan-
Great site. We're putting in radiant floor heating during our renovation- are you putting tubing in with concrete? Are you doing the entire system yourself? It would be great to see some pictures-

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan,
Just wondering if you had to get the timber frame enforced to withstand the weight of the underfloor upstairs. If you did what kind of cost did this add? I am still considering geothermal but the costs are beginning to add up. We also didn't realise how little soil we had on site and we may have to reconsider our preference of direct evaporation.
Eve