October 29, 2005

Hand Screeding + painting

I was working with Dad this morning, his first day back at work after been off for 3, so to take the pressure off and to try and repay the many hours of work he has done it was the least I could have done. So out of the cot for 5.30am!!
We got the papers out and then I had a cup of tea at home, Vinny rang me and said he was on his way down for a load of scaffolding, put a stop to my screeding and also the fact that it was pissing it down did not bode to well!
I got him with the 4 wheel drive to collect 12 bags of cement for me.
We put on the old wellies and glad rags and after 2 hours of rain and huffing and puffing and a bit of a laugh we got it filled. It is a great sight to see the scaffolding heading off!

Siobhan and Marie (her mam) arrived out to go painting, they set to and did get work.

I took a fit and decided to do a mix a load of screed. Great intentions and the minute I started the dry mix the arse feel out of the sky and I got drowned!
I mixed 8 buckets of sand and 3.5 buckets of cement to make it good and strong since there is only a 1" (25mm) of screed upstairs. The dry mix needed to be turned 3 times so as to get a good consistency.
It is a long time since I hand mixed concrete and it was a killer on the arms but with the hawling of it upstairs made it even more fun!!!
I managed to get about 3/4 of the main bathroom done upstairs, I expected 11 buckets of screed to chew up the floor space but far from it, this is going to be fun!!

No comments: