May 21, 2005

Soap Bars + Scaffolding

So the raft as I said was in, the next job was to get the soap bars installed. This was going to be done by my blocklayer and mate Eamon.
I meet him on site and showed him what had to be done, all external walls need to have a 6" soap bar laid level and the internal support walls needed also be brough up so that the tanalised sole plate could be installed.

I made a decision of leaving out 2 of the walls in the house so that we would have a full lenght of the house to screed from gable to gable without any walls in the way.
I also got him to lay the 6" soap bars for the non supporting walls bar the 2 I left out. These walls would be put in when the final floor was put in.

We noted that there was no sign of the radon barrier and I made this comment to Sean and Michael. They said the raft engineer had left it out of the drawing and that we would put it in with the soapbars, we then decided that since the radon barrier was going to be like an ice rink we would only install the strips on the external and internal walls with an over hang of about 3 foot internally and 4 foot externally.
I did a bit of research and found that some people suggested that the actual raft was sufficent, I made the decision we were not going to go this way and that they radon sump and barrier were to be installed.
Cost about 500 euro for the 2 rolls of barrier and the tape.

I got him 5 ton of sand, couple of bags on cement and he set off on the Tuesday and laid them in a couple of hours.

I then ordered the sole plates. They are 6" * 2" tanalised for the external and support walls and un treated for the non support walls, they came in at 14 euro per 16ft lenght for tanalised and 6 euro per 16ft lenght for the non treated. Even though the internal walls are only 4" I decided to go with 6" inside also.

The scaffolding was beginning to sort itself out in the mean time and it looked like we were on course to take down the scaffolding on my mates house, load it up, take it down to our house (an hour & 1/2 away) and put it up.

On the Friday after work I went to his house, we discovered that the plasters had not fully finished but that we could take down the back only. We did this and were then told that the plasterers had to come back on Sunday and finish off, we were not too happy but they agreed that they would take it down for us.

So we filled the 1st trailer and pickup and headed off, we arrived about 6pm and 2 hours later (with the help of 3 more lads) we had the front of and gable scaffolded and secured.
On the Sunday I had a match in the morning (11am) and when I rang Vinny at 2pm he had loaded up and was on his way down, with the help of another 4 lads we completed the scaffolding and securing about 8pm. A large sigh of relief was breathed, timber was also on site for me to work with the next morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what are soap,why do need to use then?
how build getting on