May 14, 2005

Raft Foundations - Part 2

So on the 10th the steel was delivered and the work began. A team of about 6 lads set to at 8am and progress was excellent.
I could not do a site visit on the 10th but on the 11th was delighted to see the outline of the house, in steel, but it was great to see.
The lads tied steel and put in the shuttering on the 10th, 11th and 12th.

On the 11th I was in talks with Clarke Homes about the delivery of the kit, this issue I accept was all of my own fault!, when my mate Paul got his kit from Riverview it was delivered on one trailer after midnight and left on site until they were finished.
I contacted Clarkes and told them to deliver on the 17th or early on the 18th and to leave the trailer, I got a bit of a suprise when I was informed that the way that Clarkes do their work is that they deliver on site on the morning 18th and that the crane and lads would have to be there to lift of the panels, then the 2nd trailer would arrive around midday and they would lift off them panels!
The issue here was that the private company I got to erect the kit (saved me 1200 Euro!) were scheduled to arrive on the 19th, the crane was booked for same!!
I asked Clarkes could they deliver on the 19th and they said no lorry was available until the 21st.
I then contacted Mark Jackson (the kit erector) and asked him could he move his dates to the 21st, he said not a hope and that in actual fact he could not make it until the 24th! I was not a happy camper at all.
This had another impact, my mate Tommy was due to felt, batten and slate the house for us, but he was due to leave for the US on the 3rd of June, with these new dates it meant he would not be able to do it and I was down a roofer! Great, not!!!

I told Mark the situation and after some polite words he agreed to also felt and batten the house. So not so bad. I went back to Clarkes and told them that they would have to deliver on the 24th of May and they agreed, so we were off once again.
I got my mate Vinny (works for Clarkes) to give the crane company a ring (Moran Crane Hire) and haggle a price since he used them before and he got me a rate of 55 euro per hour, down from 60.

So then the really panic set in........

Sean commented that he had never seen so much steel in a house as in ours, that the engineer "fairly covered his arse" but with the railway line near it was probably no harm and would save me hours with polyfill over the next 10 years!!
The concrete (35N which was specified by the engineer) was due to be delivered to pour on the Friday but Roadstone could not get a lorry free to deliver to us, not impressed.
Roadstone said the delivery would be made for 8am on Saturday morning, so we agreed that since we now had more time on my hands that this would do.

I visited the site on Saturday morning at 11am and they were finished, was suprised at the speed of their work. So then it was down to me to get the soap bars, sole plates and scaffolding in place for the 24th May.

Raft pics below:





No comments: